Thursday, January 14, 2016

Day14, Reality

Reality  6x6 Oil on Panel

I know we all have those days that things just don't seem to work out as planned.  This is one of those days.   I think failed on this one.  This painting was supposed to be a portrait of my dog.  It may resemble someones dog, but not mine.

There were a couple contributing factors.
1) I started this and then got interrupted with a meeting that completely got my mind thinking in another direction.  It was for the public art committee in the city I live in.  When I got back home, I tried to get back into the painting but I just couldn't seem to do it.
2) My dog, Mable, sits in the studio with me every time I paint.  As I was studying her, it really brought  my attention to how much grey she really has on her face.  She's 13 years old.   The more grey I painted the more I thought "This isn't my Mable."  Then I would add more gold color back in and create a younger looking dog and say again "This isn't my Mable."  In the end, reality sucks.

Painting  a pet or a person you love is really hard.  There are things you want to express but just can't with the paint.  It's when you hit on these "can't-s" that you realize they are the very things you love about them.  Without the "can't-s" your painting becomes a different person - or pet.

I think I need a therapist.  But I'll settle for a shot of whiskey.

Completed January 14th.

Larry

8 comments:

Helen Griffiths said...

Well said Larry, although it is a beautiful painting.

Unknown said...

I agree with you. When I saw your painting I said "This is not Mable" although I think you captured her eyes. How sad. I cried.

Марина said...

charming dog!

Rosemary said...

I don't know Mabel but this really caught my eye today amongst all the 30 in 30 paintings! Beautiful work!

Unknown said...

Portraits of people or pets are hard to capture the spirit when you know the subject. However, IF you don't know them, you can appreciate the painting for the beauty of it - & yours captures that!!

Unknown said...

Thank you Helen, Roger, Marina, Rosemary and Marty for the kind words. I truly appreciate them.

Barb Mowery said...

I agree with Marty. I think part of the problem is how close you are to your subject when you paint pets and people you love. First, you have seen their faces in an infinite number of expressions and shapes. And second, you have known them at all ages, from puppy to grey muzzle. So capturing just one moment of their life in paint always feels inadequate. I heard an artist interview (can't remember who) in which she talked about a painting she made of her son at age 6, and she said she could see all of his faces from baby to 6 year old in that painting. Food for thought... I like your painting, and I think you should try painting Mabel again sometime. :)

Renee Brennan said...

This painting really stood out among the thumbnails. I think you did a wonderful job with the expression in the eyes and just the floppy pose is charming...even if it isn't your Mabel, I like it!!