Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Where'd the cows go? Abducted?

Valley With No Cows  5x7 oil on paper  $90
I named this the Valley With No Cows because there where actually cows there, I just chose not to paint them.   Nope, they weren't abducted for their T-Bones.

With this scene from Peeple's Valley, Arizona I wanted to paint a higher key paining - meaning everything is lighter in value, closer to the white side then the dark side.  Closer to the Rebellion than the Empire - for you Star Wars fans.  I also played around with the pinks and purples again but kept them soft and not so in your face.  And, I did this using a pallet knife.  Yep another pallet knife painting. Even though this painting is kind of simple, I am slowly getting more control of the pallet knife.  I'm happy to say I didn't have a single "oh crap" situation.  I think thats a first in using this tool.

I still want to paint more cows, I just thought they would turn out as little dark grey spots at this size, using the pallet knife as I did.

Here's a Reinhart folk tale, might be true or it might be a bit tall:  My dad, in his younger years, ran out one morning to tend to things on his parents homestead.  He did this in his bare feet so he could keep his shoes clean for school.  I think my mom was there, leaning on the fence, waiting for him. By the time he got done his feet had gotten so wet and cold that they went numb and he had trouble walking.  To make sure he didn't fall and get his school clothes dirty he thawed his feet by standing in a big pile of steamy cow poop.  And my mom still married him!

I've been known to do odd stuff too, but have yet to attempt this one.  Maybe one day, when I have my own cows, I'll have the necessity of this.

Have a good warm day!

-Larry

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Sure isn't warm in valley Center Ca. today :( Love this Larry!