Thursday, January 12, 2017

Burst of warmth on a cold day.

Burst of Warmth  5x7  Oil on Paper  $90
As promised here is another painting of Peeple's Valley near Prescott Arizona.  I got the tail end of the fall season here.  If you compare this painting to the one in my last blog you'll see what a difference just a couples of days can make.  I've got almost the same fence though.

In my paintings I am trying to capture how I feel about a place or what I remember it to be like.  This can be hard because in memory a person may tend to think very broadly about a given place as apposed to just a certain spot.  For example, take the trees in painting above.  These trees really exist and the mountains exists behind them but the way I paint them may not be picture perfect true.  In thinking of the colors I am thinking of all the colors I see, all over the place.  I want the painting to feel like Peeple's Valley, not just be a rendition of it.  To do this it's best to visit the place a few times or for a few days.  It's best to get out and explore it, smell it, feel the dirt, etc.  It's hard to explain so you may just have to trust me on this one.

The good thing is my perception of Peeple's Valley will be different from another artist's.  I could have chosen the white ranch fencing, or put cows or horses in the scene.   I could have chosen many things that are iconic to this town.  As long as it exists then nothing is right or wrong. How or what I choose to paint is unique to me though.  I know,  blah, blah, blah...  I'l stop now now before your eyes glaze over and you fall asleep.  But it is a good thought to keep while you look at mine or any others artists work.  It never hurts to engage them and ask "why" too.  You'll never know what sort of story is behind a painting until you ask.

Tomorrow I hope to share something new to the studio.  I'm sooooo excited!!  Stay tuned.


Larry


1 comment:

Sheila said...

Blah blah wonderful light, beautiful trees. Nice peaceful feeling. Love it!