Friday, January 6, 2017

January 6th

Dry Heat  5x7  Oil on Paper  $90
A new day, a new painting.

There are places in southern California where the trees usually don't turn brown because it's autumn, they turn brown because it's 115 degrees in summer.  There's a reason why we are called sunny California, even in winter.  With this title comes the long, dry, hot summers.  Palm Springs, Joshua Tree, the high desert, these are the places I am thinking of.

They are nice places to visit once in a while but I prefer rural farmlands, mountains or even the occasional ocean beach.  The latter two are popular with many.  Sometimes too popular.  This painting I wanted to express the heat in these lands.  When I showed my wife the painting she said it looks dry. - Bingo!

One of the struggles of being an artist is finding storage for all your works.  Yes it's always nice to sell the paintings, but even the crazy accomplished artists have "things" they are working on that do not go out for sale.  Last year when I decided to try painting smaller I soon realized how quickly these little guys can add up.  I was using small stretched canvases, cradled wood panels or just plain sheets of wood.  These add up quickly in cost at the initial purchase and also in physical cubic inches when storage is concerned.  Last year I painted 77 paintings - thats actually right on target with someone who does this full time.  But, I had to find a way to keep producing the art but also get the profit margin higher, reduce storage needs, keep quality high and also give me the peace of mind and freedom to play.  That's why I'm painting on paper.  I'll explain more in my future blogs.

Take care,

Larry

No comments: