Thursday, June 2, 2016

June 2nd. Still trying to choose but I know my options.

Page 1
What do we have here? Do you really want to know - don't answer that cause I'm gonna tell ya' anyway.

1) Search and Rescue - Litter attendant is getting ready to go over the side.  The three legged thing (can't ever seem to remember the technical names) is set to get our ropes off the ground. NO

2) Written Notes - Kevin MacPherson's limited pallet ( http://kevinmacpherson.com/)  NO

3)Figure painting - background abstract-ish similar to another I have recently done. I like the pose. Maybe

4)Figure Painting - She looks like an 80's style pose.  not sensual.  NO

5) Figure Painting - calmly sitting - shirt would be crazy flower print, can't make out detail in face. A little on the boring side though.  Probably a NO.

6) Figure in rain - The painting would be about the yellow boots.  Everything else grayed out, except the umbrella.  Like concept but the composition is not even close to being worthy of paint - NO

7) Mom and Daughter with feet up on wall.  I love this one but I'm not ready to paint it yet.  Just doesn't fit yet.  I love the kids legs personality verses the moms.  I totally see my wife and daughter here.  Yes, but Later

8) Redlands Train Station - I will paint this later.  I need more than a month and I don't want to be side tracked with having to blog during this epic painting.  I have a dozen other sketches for this one where I'm working out the composition.  This is not the best drawing or composition. - Yes, but Later

9) Swinging - this one will be awesome but way to quick of a painting to stretch over a month.  Maybe, but Later

10) Plane.  I love planes.  I worked at Fed Ex for a while in my past, at the airport.  It was here working around the big planes that I got to really imagine the scales of things (Big things with itsy bitsy people in my paintings).  Planes look small from the terminal or from the ground.  When your standing under one of these or leaning up against the tires you really get a sense of how big some of these suckers are.  This is not the one to paint it was just a thought - I have a group of other planes to paint later though.  Hopefully for a gallery show.  So for now -NO


Page two
Page Two:

1) Figure pulling on net.  Goes with a Psalm.  Still developing it so - Yes, but later.

2) The floating whale.  I was looking at another artist work - Forgot who- but it really touched me.  I like the killer whales best so I sketched the killer whale in the same position, below.  This sketch led to #6.  Not this one - NO

3)  The bridge in front of Seven Oaks Dam.  Just a thought.  Probably paint it someday, just not now with this composition.  NO

4) Sketch of Portland, Oregon.  Maybe

5) This is my daughters drawing of a truck.  She takes over my sketch book sometimes. Doesn't count

6) Killer whale. The whales are like airplanes in the ocean to me.  They're big.  The ocean scares me, a lot.  Probably why I'm so fascinated with ocean elements.   Maybe.

7) Another bridge.  No

8) Another airplane.  Thought about putting an airplane in the scene instead of the whale - Nope.

9) Calling to the light.  Definitely a front runner.  Statue between two columns, crazy small people below.  I love the calm warmth this painting will have.  I already see it.   To the right I'm messing around with color options.  I will paint this, just not sure if I want to do it now, so - Maybe

Here's a reality check.  I'm only analyzing two pages from my sketch book here.  When I decide to paint what I call a Major Work I generally skim through all of my sketch book's.  When I speak of a Major Work I am referring to a painting that will be in the 30 x 40inch minimum size range.  The largest I have worked was 48 x 72 inch.  It takes money and a lot of time to complete one of these.  Working on the larger sizes you quickly realize just how small that $10 tube of paint really was.  In addition, to the $ and time I really need to make sure that I am happy with my decision and be sure that the painting will eventually fit in with my other works and compliment them.  I can ponder over this for a good week narrowing down my choices to the top three, and so on.  It's nerve racking sometimes.  For this month's painting I am tending toward  the two foot size range.  I want to make something sizable but I also want to be able to control it as I blog.  a lot of my recent work has been in the 6x6 or 6x12 size range.  This is small.  I'm getting it out of my system and getting ready to go big again,

Back to present day - To add them all up I have 10 No's, 4 Maybe's and 4 Yes but Later's.  So I am still left pondering - Which one to choose......

I need to think about this more.  Let me know which one you think I should paint!

Larry
http://www.larryreinhart.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Page 2 #9 will be amazing liking the color palette.