Thursday, June 23, 2016

June 21-23 It's HOT.



We left off like like this.
It got up to 115 degrees here.  It's hot and I cry like a baby when it get's hot.  The feeling of my skin boiling disturbs me.  It's hot!

Okay, had to get that out of my system.

No more red trim
It was hot though...  I'm disliking anything hot this week and I think my brain involuntarily made me take out the red trim on the building.  It reminded me of a sun burn.  It's out!

But seriously, when was the last time you saw red trim on a building, and with such thick window glazing like that.  I had a dose of reality.  By slowing down and noticing buildings as I was driving through town (with my AC blowing on high and all vents on my face)  I began to see my mistakes.  This is actually common for me.  I start a painting and I do so with a "feeling" of the scene.  I don't directly copy a particular place.  Then, after I get going, I start to add bits of realistic elements that help the scene come together.  These bits come from me being more aware of things.  When I start to paint the truck I will probably become more aware of how light bounces off the shiny surface, how the shadows roll around the body, etc.  But if I'm not actively painting a car or truck then I don't take much notice.  Make sense?  Taking the red out also gives your eyes a break.  Gives them more room to move about.

Here's where I'm at today.  
I'm still mentally wrestling with the sign.  Not sure how to kick it's butt yet.

Scraped in lines for the wires.
Under the flippers
What to do next?  I need to pay attention to windows in the sunlight.  How much can you see through them?  How much is reflected?  How do the hot spots show?  I also need more stuff - AC units to keep everyone cool on the roof, door knobs, graffiti - who knows - I just need to make it more lived in.  I have a lot of things to look at.

Larry

No comments: