Thursday, June 16, 2016

June 16th Feel'in the grays


Where we left off

Starting the grays

Now
I'm starting to feel the color.  Things that I'm think'in about include:

   1) The saturation on my colors is over the top.  It's almost confusing to me since I normally don't have so much color.  What's bug'in me the most is that back line of buildings.  I know they'll get toned down, but they're still there.

    2) Another issue is, what's my focus.  Per my color sketch, I was going to lead you in from the direction the whale came, at street level.  I hinted at this in the color comp but didn't quite nail it down.  I sketched a person near the right hand border yesterday and I think I will use it.  So now I think I need to change my focus.  Do I make the figure the focus, the whale or keep the original intent and make the figure a third read - still deciding on how I'm going to tell this story.  

     3)The white circle on the whale is going to be difficult to conquer.  It being white, with a sharp edge next to the black makes it a natural focus.  That contrast will naturally lead your eye right there.  The white of the circle will be competing with the lightest portion of the painting too, another natural focus.  If I want to make the figure the focus I will need to conquer the whale first.  What about that sign?

     4) That sign is getting too busy and it's way too much of a distraction.  I need to tone it down.  I'll pick my focus then hit the sign.  It's mainly the inside guts of the sign.  The yellow and red of the broken face I can work with.

Up next, I'll continue with the grays and whites.  I'll probably move down into the road so I can get rid of all that darkness down there. As I work I'll continue to think about the four items above.  This painting is evolving.

Did you know?  On the whales chin, the white section next to the flipper, there are two kinds of shadows here.  One is a cast shadow - created from the flipper casting a shadow down and across the chin.  This type of shadow produces a sharper edge.  The second kind of shadow is the form shadow.  The form shadow is created as the round body the whale curves around and goes into shadow.  The curve is gentle and creates a soft gradient shadow.  Combine the two and object your painting starts to feel real.  I usually doesn't matter how abstract or rough you paint, if you get the shadow convincing the painting works.

Larry

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoy the fact the you include great detail of your thought process. My question is why did you choose a bright yellow Denny's sign instead of another generic resturaunt with a less powerful contrast to your painting?

Anonymous said...

I agree that the sign draws all of the attention. Im not sure about the figure I wouldn't make it prominent. Otherwise truly awesome as usual