Friday, June 24, 2016

June 24 Something else, a horse perhaps?

The Four Horsemen   36 x 60 Oil on Canvas
I'm think'in that if I don't have anything to share regarding the whale painting then I should share something else.  So here's something else:

My painting of the Four Horsemen.

The four horsemen are called upon in chapter 6 in the book of Revelations.  To understand what these riders represent you must actually do a lot of reading and interpretation but a good place to start is chapter 6.  Interpretations may vary but what I have gathered is that the white rider represents the false prophet, the antichrist, the red horse could be the next big world war, the black horse brings recession and poverty to all and the last horse, described as the pale horse, brings death.  These are gruesome things and the riders who enact them will probably do horrific acts as they bring these revelations to reality. 
After explaining this, I have been asked how I could possibly paint these horses to resemble childish toys.  Here's what I was thinking:
We are given toys to play with at a young age so we can learn from them.  We learn how mechanical devices work, we discover cause and effect, we can even learn how to share with others and to respect the toy for what it is, who gave it to us, etc.  God, who created these horses doesn’t really need them or the riders to process His judgment, He could simply snap His fingers and we would all be obliterated.  But by bringing each horseman out he is giving us the opportunity to learn from what is happening and make a life saving decision, Salvation.  So I'm saying these horsemen are like toys.  They are a means to teach us in a way we can understand, interact with and learn from.  Brutal toys, yes, but still toys.

In Matthew chapter 24, Matthew describes the early stages of the tribulations as birthing pains for what will be coming in the end.  If this is true then these horsemen would be coming early on and there would be lot more things to follow them. So in representing these horsemen as toys I think they would be simple, like pull toys a young child could grow to play with.  

It's just how my thought process is.

Prints of this painting are available through my print on demand site :
They are awesome prints, available in many sizes and are very reasonably priced.  Come check them out!  I recommend a print on the Archival Matte paper.

Larry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this. What a creative representation.