Wednesday, June 1, 2016

June 1st, round two. What to choose...

Sitting Ram painting standing vertical, drying.  About 95% complete

So what to choose......Cont.

To understand what to choose you must first understand why to choose.  Right now I only have six paintings in progress - this is actually low number for me.   In progress means I have paint on the surface but the image is not complete.  I also have four other paintings ready to start.  Ready to start means I have the drawings complete, the reference, if needed, is out, and the surface that I will be painting it on is set to go.  In addition to these, I have six or eight painting surfaces ready to go but nothing in mind for them yet.  That's a lot in the works.  The sad thing is I'm not in the mood for any of them right now.  I want something new and exciting.  This is one of the perils of not having enough time.  Painting can sometimes drag on over weeks, then they become unexciting for me.  What I need is more time to work on them in a day (longer painting sessions).  I wonder if this lack of excitement shows in my work?  I don't think so because as I get closer to the end of a major work I tend to get excited again - my painting sessions tend to go into the whee ours of the night as well and then I struggle through the next day trying to stay awake at my other job.  Sometimes it's kind of funny what I do and what I put myself through.  To be honest, I wouldn't know what else to do with myself if I didn't have my art.

So, the Ram painting at the top of this page is almost complete, another evening and it will be done.  I have a small lion painting going that just needs an hour or so to complete.  I have a horse painting that will need a couple of weeks.  A figure painting that will need about a week.  A city-scape (landscape of a city) that will need about three days. And the last one is an abstract that I have lost all hope for and is just sitting on the painting rail staring at me (I built 2" shelves in the studio that I can set wet painting on to dry.  These allow me to keep them safe while I work on other things - as apposed to lying flat on a table to get splattered on or propped on the wall at the floor to be kicked or dripped on).  Except for the Ram above the zest for these paintings just isn't here right now.

To get back to the why I need to choose - As I was lying there, my life flashing before me, Chupacabra gnawing on my leg I thought "Let's paint something new and document the process!"  Prophetic huh?  Like I said, it's kind of funny what I put myself through.

So here I am asking - What to choose.  Lets get it over with and choose!
Page 1

Page 2
 Would love to hear your comments on which one to choose.

Have a good night,

Larry

1 comment:

Sheila said...

The yellow umbrella and boots caught my eye....