Saturday, March 18, 2017

Through the turbulence a new painting arrives.


One of my newest paintings completed. Through the Turbulence, 12x24 oil on Canvas.  Are you interested in my process?  Read on and I'll share a little bit of it.
original sketches from sketch book.  These are about 2-3 inches across.  Very small
First comes the idea.  Recorded in a sketch book.  Sometimes just one sketch is needed, other times I play around and do different sketches.  In this case I did multiple sketches, different times, the key thing is the image kept returning.  Since I am always working on something the sketches will sit in my sketch book for a while, untouched.  Then, when the time is right I go through my sketch book and choose a few possible sketches to work out.
reference material
After deciding on a couple of sketches I gather reference material if needed.  In the bottom reference shot, the guy in the boat, left side figure, is actually from a kayaking picture.  I used Photoshop to cut and paste.  The boat at top center ultimately inspired me for shape and color.  At this point I am considering adding tribal marks to the side of the boat.  I'm not 100% sure of the direction yet.
final drawing
I use the sketch and the reference material to create my final drawing.  I'm pretty sure there will be no tribal markings but I still feel something is missing.  I just haven't figure out what yet.


color study
I use a copy of the final drawing to make quick color studies.  I usually do these in colored pencils and acrylics.  Above is the color choices I liked the best.
Stormy seas. Is this what I am missing?

Katsushika Hokusai's - Great Wave of Kanagawa from his series of 36 views of Mt Fuji, 1830-1832

Halfway through painting the sky and water I realized what was missing.  I wanted Iconic Japanese Waves, like the ones in the pictures above.  I was already thinking the canoe was emerging out of the darkness and going toward the light but the consistent water on the bottom was what was bugging me.  I thought it would be more exciting if he was emerging out of a storm.

Through the Turbulence 12x24 oil on canvas
And here we are today with the finished painting.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Larry
www.larryeinhart.com
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on Facebook

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Really enjoyed reading about, and seeing the pieces of your process. I love the waves, and your light is wonderful. Am I seeing triangles in the bottom left corner? What do they represent?
Look forward to seeing what you add, if anything. Enjoy!