Sunday, March 5, 2017

Commited to what?

Committed  oil on paper  Larry Reinhart
I have just started the next phase of committing myself to my abstract art.  I am now working on my web site, adding a new portfolio page tilted "Abstract World."  When I get it complete I'll share it and you'll be the first to see it.  I'm not exactly sold on the title yet, still pondering it.  I'm guessing the new portfolio will take most of two weeks to get it up and published online.  I like to think about things, a lot, before I go public.  I also tend to be a neat freak when it comes to design.  I want things to line up and be balanced so there is a lot of nudging two pixels this way or that way.  I see this neat freak stuff a lot in my personal life too.  Not a squeaky clean sort of neat freak but more freaky about other things.  I like my ducks in a row.  That's probably why I love painting so much.  In my Obsessions work there is the organization of the sketch, the reference and the color choices but when it comes time to paint, I just paint.  I get lost in it, it's like a break from reality.  It truly is -  I can be yawning and tired but if I pick up a brush and start painting I'll have to force myself to go to sleep 3-4 hours later.   This break from reality is true for the abstract art too, but there's a lot less preconceived work and a lot more getting lost.

The painting above, tilted "Committed" was a piece I was getting ready to abandon.  I wasn't happy with it.  It was mainly a color issue, but I don't like tossing paintings at the slightest problem.  I do have some patience and I will think about the painting a great deal before acting upon my initial thoughts.  Eventually this one got a couple layers of glazing and certain areas got wiped back out.  Metaphorically it was buried under layers of paint then wiped clean for a rebirth.  That's not squeaky clean but it's still a bit freaky - Ya' know.  I am happy with it now though.  I guess that's all that matters.

Have a good day and stay committed to everything you do!

Larry

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Love the bits of light throughout. The deep, rich darks. Feels balanced to me, even though it is not symmetrical.