Saturday, March 11, 2017

Lift Off- Where's it going?

Lift Off, 5x7 oil on paper
This abstract painting started with a streak of bright yellow paint.  And with only this bright yellow paint it sat in the studio for a week before I touched it again.  I didn't know what to do with it. I didn't think the placement of the yellow was good as it was way off balance.

When I did start working on it again I started laying in colors around the yellow.  The yellow still really bugged me though.  I kept thinking it looked like projectile vomit.  I had this vision stuck in my head and I couldn't get beyond it.  You know what I did?  I tossed it in the trash can.  Actually, I flicked it into the trash like when you flick a playing card.  It landed perfectly in the trash can from across the studio.  It was a good shot!

But that's when I saw it, the yellow streak was up top and I was looking at it from a distance.  It looks like a rocket flying off the paper. Where's this rocket going? Is it one my son makes (He's in school to be an Astronomical Engineer - go boy!) I retrieved the art and went back to work.  No more vomit, just fire and smoke now.  Hopefully I have chosen the right title.  If I would have named it "projectile vomit" you would probably be looking at it differently right now.

Sometimes it helps to clear your mind and take another look.

Larry

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Thanks for the laugh Larry! High five for the score :) I see sun shining down on the city. Faint hint of palm fronds. Look forward to seeing where you take it :)