Saturday, October 22, 2016

The Final Killer




For me, most paintings develop and are finished pretty close to how I had expected from the start.  This isn't by accident.  I spend time developing the drawing, picking colors collecting reference and when it's time to execute, I'm generally ready to "get er done."  But with this killer whale painting, I just wasn't pleased with the direction it had gone.  I tried changing colors in the back buildings, I tried making the buildings lighter, I tried a few things but nothing was working.  I just didn't like it.  It had just too much information, your eyes wander around looking for something to latch onto and in doing so we lose the fact that the whale is floating.  I couldn't come up with a decent fix it plan so I left and went on a weeks' vacation.     

After my return I went back to my first few rough sketches.  Here's one to the left.  You can see in this sketch the back building are very meaningless.  They're just indicated with a few lines.  This is what I needed.  Let's start the buildings over - Auggggg!!!!    I either do this or I sand everything down and start a new painting.  I might as well try it, right.   If I don't like what I try I'll bring out the sander and completely erase this painting.  I've done it before and I'll do it again if I need to.      
     As soon as I put the first bit of sky color over the buildings I saw and knew what I needed to do.   As you can see the changes have been major.  The back buildings have changed dramatically, there is no more dome on the left building, the sign is getting filled in and there is a shape of a figure in the lower right hand corner.  The painting was crying out to me for these things, I just needed to listen.  I really love the new back buildings.  These where scratched in like a child's primitive drawing.  Here's a couple of close ups along with the figure getting fleshed out a bit: 




This idea of scratching the paint will be something I play around with more.  Below is the final painting.  What do you think?



Now I just need to come up with a name.
Killer Whale Painting?
Walking in the Shadow of my Gloom?
Checks in the Mail?
Walking the Dog?
Life is Good?

What's the painting about?  Well it changed from its original idea.  It's now about depression.  If a person is depressed they take this feeling with them where ever they go.  Some people think they hid it well, some pretend like it's not there.  I think the key to overcoming it is to acknowledge its presence and learn to walk outside of it encompassing shadow.  You'll never be rid of it, it will always be there so learn from it, deal with it, pray about it and press on.  A lot of time it's easier said than done, but just remember, Life is Good.  I know this from personal experience.

Take care,

Larry

No comments: