Friday, March 11, 2016

Flashback Friday - Steamed

Steamed.  Mixed Media on Illustration Board

03/11/2016

Here's my first flash back Friday for ya'll.  Here's a few things I remember out this piece:

    I used pictures of myself for reference on this image.  In a strange way, thats my face.
    The date of 2003 must have been a period when I was using this image for advertising.  I know it was painted before 2000.
    I painted this one while living in a single bedroom apartment with Raveen and Seven in Pasadena, CA.  I was attending Art Center College of Design at the time.
    I used mixed media to paint it.  I started with Acrylics, added water color, then a wash of purple oil that was rubbed off, followed by more acrylics, the steam was painted with Gouache and then finally detailed with colored pencils.  I was using each medium to its advantage so I could paint quickly.     
    This is a picture I would have / could have painted in a single day.  I was busy working two jobs, going to school and learning to be a dad, I had to use my time wisely.  - Maybe this was the inspiration for the image??

Check out the stuff flying out of the briefcase.  The old cell phone, the floppy disk, little calculator. Back in the day I didn't even own a cell phone.  I think I owned the calculator though and this was painted around the time I got my first computer with an external dial up modem for very early web access.  This image was before any knowledge of "Steam Punk."  Did I invent Steam Punk!!!

Ohhhhh, the memories.  Hope you all enjoy the art and have a good weekend.

Larry




1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL! I love these flashback Friday paintings! They're such a treat, and shows us the great expanse of your imagination and artistic talent.

And I couldn't help but think of that Jet.com TV commercial, of the head blowing up in purple smoke. :)